Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Book Club

School winded down a week ago.  I've relaxed, barbecued, brought the kids to the beach.  It's only June, but I'm ready to start thinking about next year and the changes that I would like to put in place.  During the school year I never have enough time to read books on the craft of teaching.  I've been waiting to get my hands on these books for a while. I’ve ordered the books and they should arrive while I’m at DP Summer Convening, so I have all summer to get through them.  I have a feeling that these books will be need to be read with a notebook in hand so that I can sketchnote my ideas right away.  



I've followed George Couros on Twitter for years now.  I've always been inspired by his commitment to create a collaborative teaching and learning environment.  On his website you can get a synopsis of each chapter of the book.  
The book will talk about the connections that we make with our students colleagues and administrators.    Next year my school will make more steps towards Personalized Learning Plans.  Couros also talks often on his Twitter feed and blog about helping students to find their passions.




This is the book I’m the most excited about to read this summer.  It seems to be rooted in so many of the teaching and learning philosophies that I have been working with over my teaching career: Constructivism, SAMR, Differentiated instruction and Student Centered learning.   It also really seems to align with the “Think like an Engineer” way of having students work with the content we are trying to teach.   There is ton of information on Spencer’s Website about Design thinking and you can see the outline for Launch here.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment